1. You will be dealing with a law firm that has earned the status of being one of British Columbia’s largest personal injury law firms that exclusively represents people who have been injured in motor vehicle accidents (based on the numbers of injured people we have represented).
2. We are a plaintiff ONLY law firm, and 100% of our work is representing people just like you. We know what you face in the short and long term and we know how to help you cope with the challenges. Your injury lawyer in Vancouver is here to support and guide you.
3. You will receive a free initial consultation where you can discuss your case. We will explain your options so you can decide for yourself whether you need a lawyer to help you.
4. If we take your case, you don’t pay a retainer (upfront money). We work on a contingency fee basis. This means you don’t pay anything to start your case and you don’t pay our legal fees until your case is concluded. Instead, our legal fees are based on a percentage of the amount you recover from ICBC or other insurer.
5. All cases face the possibility that going to trial will be necessary to achieve a fair result. Therefore, we will approach your case from that perspective as appropriate. If a fair settlement offer is not forthcoming, this approach encourages effective settlement negotiations with ICBC.
6. We will represent you throughout your case including settlement negotiations and court proceedings, should they become necessary to achieve a fair settlement.
7. In most cases, our office will handle the expenses involved in starting and running a personal injury lawsuit (called disbursements). Typically this includes necessary expenses like filing court documents, hiring expert witnesses, or conducting vehicle searches, etc. We cover the cost of these items for you and wait to collect them from the settlement/court awarded funds. The BC Supreme Court Rules allow for the recovery of most (but not all) disbursements from ICBC as part of the settlement of a personal injury claim. If you have questions about disbursements, please ask your lawyer and they will be pleased to answer them. Wherever possible, we will seek to recover disbursements from ICBC (or other insurer) as part of the resolution to your case. In cases where this is not possible, the remainder is deducted from the settlement monies we obtain for you.
8. As the result of handling thousands of cases over the years, we have considerable experience dealing with the diagnosis, treatment and future prognosis for all kinds of motor vehicle injuries. Knowledge of the various aspects of each type of injury is essential to bring your case to a successful conclusion. Our history of handling only motor vehicle injury cases helps ensure that if an insurance company disputes your claim, the extent of your injury, your symptoms and effect on your future, is not minimized before a mediator, judge or judge and jury.
9. Our injury lawyers in Vancouver are frequently called upon to utilize the evidence of medical, rehabilitation, engineering and accounting experts to advance a clients’ case. Our choice to limit our practice to personal injury claims has allowed us to develop a wide network of professional resources and has given us experience handling expert medical evidence.
10. We stay in touch. You will have the benefit of a team of personal injury lawyers and paralegals who work on your case. You will be assigned a paralegal, who will be available to answer your questions that do not require legal advice, when your lawyer is not available due to court or discovery obligations.